Monday 18 January 2010

COMPLELTE

My 3D Software rendere Demo scene Video:

Looking back now that the demo scene is complete, writing a software renderer was quit exciting and very interesting. Coming up with a demo scene was even alot more chalenging seeing as creativity was required. Having pulled it off i am rather pleased with the results. Ofcourse it wasnt all smooth and like in every other project there were bumps along the way. Firstly the math involved was quit overwhelming at times, interms of getting my head around it. But this wasnt the biggest of my problems. What I found difficult initially was the fact that we were using C++ for this project and having never used C++ before for such a complex project, learning how to do certain things was quit a challenge. We had to use linear interpolation quit alot for this project. Understanding the concept of how this worked wasnt that much of a problem it was implementing it in C++ which I found to be quit challenging. Ofcourse after sometime I began to grasp the language, and obviously having only used it for several months I am still learning and I have a long way to go interms of mastering it but I now feel that I am competent enough to use it to the best of my abilities.

During the project I did have one huge problem which took me 2 weeks to solve. In a nested loop I typed in the wrong variable which made the entire program behave in a very strange manner. All my models appeared to have missing ploygons thus not all the polygons were being proccessed. This was very difficult to spot and as a result I wasnt able to proceessed with the project until this problem was solved. eventually(after 2 weeks) the problem was solved but alot of time had been wasted and as a result i did not implement some of the things I was hoping to have in my demo such as texturing. The other problem was that I was left with very little time to come up with an actual demo scene. But in the end everything worked out, not according to my original plan due to the issues stated but it all came together. Its has been an interesting process and I enjoyed every moment of it, even the frustrations. I learned alot of amazing things during this process. In future however i would think about the demo scene as early as possible, seeing as this time around I underestimated how it might take interms of coming up with a creative idea. As a result I left the planning for last and this proved to be more difficult than I initially thought it would be. For future development I will implement texturing, as I was not able to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment